My spouse, the education tipster, after sampling some, took a photograph of it, and declared it to be the best summer use of shrimp she had ever tasted. She exclaimed that the taste was sensational and I could hardly disagree with her. Shrimp and fruit with a fruity dressing and no added sugar are very refreshing.
Tropical Shrimp Salad serves 6
12 ounces (375g) rotini pasta
Tropical fruit dressing (recipe below)
3 oranges, peeled and cut into sections
2 grapefruits, peeled and cut into sections
1 cup of canned pineapple chunks
1 pound (500g) medium sized shrimp in the shell
Tropical fruit dressing
1/3 cup light olive oil or safflower oil
Grated peel of 1 lemon
Grated peel of 1 orange
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
¼ cup (75ml) orange juice
½ teaspoon salt
Blend all ingredients well or shake in a covered jar
- Put water on to boil for the rotini.
- Put water on to boil for the shrimp
- Make the tropical fruit dressing
- Section the oranges and grapefruit by slicing into quarters and then slicing the fruit from the peel.
- With the water boiling, cook the rotini for 9-10 minutes, then drain and cool in ice-water.
- With the water boiling, add the shrimp and when water returns to boil, look at shrimp. When they turn pink, drain and cool in ice-water.
- Shell, devein, and remove the tails of the poached shrimp.
- Mix the cool, drained pasta, the shrimp and all the fruit in a nice bowl, preferably glass or ceramic.
- Add the tropical fruit dressing and stir thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving