Monday, April 2, 2012

BOURRIDE FISH SOUP

A-Z Soup
If you enjoy foods like cioppino or bouillabaisse, you will likely be content to eat a bowl of bourride (boo reed). This Mediterranean fish soup, a classic dish from the Provence region of France is thick like a stew and makes a wonderful one dish meal with crusty bread and an accompanying, garlic- mayonnaise thickening called aioli.  The fish soup bourride is simple to prepare and leisurely to make. The garlic, shallots et al sautéed in olive oil with tomatoes, herbs, orange rind, wine and fish stock impart a lovely aroma in your kitchen. The resulting liquid is the foundation of a fish poaching that leads to a fantastic bourride. You could serve this with boiled potatoes and French bread slices with aioli and make a grand robust meal.


Adapted from:  Soup, Coralie Castle, Cole Group

Make the garlic mayonnaise (Aioli)     1 cup
4 cloves garlic
2 egg yolks
1/8th teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons quality olive oil

Crush and mash the garlic with a rolling pin or mortar and pestle or back of a sturdy spoon.
Put the garlic in a bowl and stir in the yolks.
Stir in the salt.
While whisking or stirring, add the oil very slowly, almost drop y drop
Keep stirring and adding oil until thick mayonnaise is achieved
If not used right away, cover and refrigerate.

The Bourride:                                    Serves 6

Ingredients:

6 Cups water
1 ½ Cups chopped onion
2 Tomatoes
3 Sprigs parsley
1 Sprig oregano


1 Bay leaf
6 Coriander seeds
1 Cup chopped celery
3 Garlic cloves
Peel from ½ orange
1 teaspoon salt
4 black peppercorns, lightly crushed
Pinch of Saffron threads
2 Tablespoons olive oil

2 Pounds assorted fish filets, such as cod, flounder, bass, red snapper etc. (About 3 filets)
6 slices stale or dry French bread
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Egg Yolks, beaten
The aioli sauce

Method:

  • In a big pot, put the first 14 ingredients (water, vegetables, seasonings and oil) and bring to a boil.

  • Lower the flame and simmer for 20 minutes.

  • Wrap the fish filets in cheesecloth, raise the flame, and lower the filets into the liquid.

  • Poach for 10 minutes at a simmer.

  • Place a slice of bread into each of the 6 bowls.

  • Put ½ of a filet atop each bread slice and cover to keep warm.

  • Strain the stock in the pot.

  • Taste and adjust salt and pepper

  • Whisk a 1/2 cup of soup into the egg yolks and then stir back into the pot.

  • Ladle the soup into the bowls

  • Put 1 tablespoon of the aioli sauce on top of each bowl.

Try a bowl of bourride; it is a fine aromatic, poached, fish soup.


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! I don't think I have many of the necessary ingredients in my kitchen though.

anthony stemke said...

JMAN: These products are generally available in the store and worth getting to make this. If you cannot get fresh oregano please use a teaspoon or so of dried. The popcorn/soda narrative was very funny. Thanks for calling.

Eat To Live said...

Oh wow!!! So glad you are doing A-Z Soups. My Hubs loves soups and I need a few more good recipes.

I checked the ingredients in the recipe and I think this is a soup he would probably like. Thanks Anthony!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Anthony, a REAL aioli!!!! My heart is singing with joy because you're suggesting we make a REAL AIOLI! YAY!!!! The soup sounds really great, and that's from a fish phobe. I think I'll be brave and try this one, if for no other reason than the real aioli. I'm impressed!

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

wat a tempting soup..n u done this perfectly...can feel the taste..
maha

Nikki said...

A - Z soups is a great idea! I've never liked fish but I so wish I did. I'm trying lots of fish dishes all the time at the moment, to try to get used to the flavour, so I might give this one a go :)

Nikki – inspire nordic

anthony stemke said...

FREETOP 1000: Thank you for the kind words.

MY JOURNEY WITH CANDIDA: I'm so happy he would like this classic soup.

ANDREA THE KITCHEN WITCH: This soup is great with the aioli, you will love it.

MAHA: Thasnk you so much for your compliment, I appreciate it.

anthony stemke said...

NIKKI: This one is so aromatic, you'll be champing at the bit to eat some.

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

The garlic mayonnaise sounds interesting and I was surprised to see the orange rind ingredient.
This would be a great meal for those chilly evenings (you know, 69 degrees!)
http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com Theme: A World of Crime

anthony stemke said...

GAIL M BAUGNIET: To me, 69F is perfect. Chilly is 50 to 40. Here in NE Georgia the weather and the foliage is lovely right now, been planting vegetables in the backyard. The garlic mayo goes great with the bourride.

Joanne said...

I have to admit I am not a fan of the watery tectured fish soup but if it's creamy like a bisque...I am IN!!! The picture is so appetizing!
Blessings, Joanne

Matt Conlon said...

I remember this blog from last year, and followed you for a while. I sort of fell out of touch with Blogger, and for that, I am sorry...

That soup looks outstanding. I love soups... Thanks!

Joyce said...

Looking forward to catching up here...I love all things French so I know I'd love this. I'm just back from Shanghai, Taipei, and Hong Kong-food adventures abound. I'm sure a few of my travel posts will be food related. Some things were delicious, others were 'questionable' : ) Good luck with the challenge!

Unknown said...

Yum! That soup looks delish and healthy!

Look forward to your challenge posts...

--Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Spicy-Aroma said...

looks so yummy..loved it!!
Spicy-Aroma

Unknown said...

This looks absolutely delicious and for anyone with any kitchen chops at all, rather do-able. And, as mentioned before, a TRUE aioli!

Stopping by on the A to Z Challenge from Debbie & Harry's Kitchen.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anthony. Sounds like an interesting soup.

anthony stemke said...

JOANNE: I understand what you mean and am happy to say that this bourride is not watery. It is right up your alley. Regards.

MATT CONLON: Welcome back Matt. If you like to cook look back for my beef and beer recipe.

JOYCE: Wow, that must have been an exciting trip. I know what you mean about the food, they eat things we are totally unfamiliar with.

DAMYANTI: You are 100% correct, fragrant, delish and healthy. Thanks.

POONAM BORKAR: Thank You very much, I appreciate that.

DEBBIE HENTHORN: It is a great soup and I don't think too difficult, The aioli is good with it as well.

SUSANNE DRAZIC: Thanks Susanne, we love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...