Saturday, April 7, 2012

GINGER CHICKEN AND PAPAYA SOUP

A-Z Soups
Chicken soup sounds good but with the addition of fresh ginger, chicken soup stands out.  Add some papaya and this tangy soup is elevated to ambrosial status.

If you have papayas, make this soup and inspire smiles at the table.

Adapted from:   Southeastasianfood.about.com

Ginger Chicken and Papaya Soup                           Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast

1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules OR salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon lime juice

2 tablespoons of chicken fat or butter
¾ cup onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

2 cups of water
1 cup of chicken broth
1 pound (about) firm papaya, peeled, seeded and cubed into 1 inch pieces.


Method:
.
  • Dry and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces
  • Season all sides with the granules or salt plus pepper and lime juice
  • Set aside

  • In a heavy skillet heat the fat on medium high heat
  • When the fat is hot, add the onion and garlic
  • Fry, stirring all the while, until onion just begins to brown
  • Add the chicken and minced ginger
  • Stir and fry only until chicken is white

  • Put the skillet contents into a saucepan and add 3 cups of water
  • Bring to boiling, cover and lower the heat
  • Simmer until chicken is tender, about 15 minutes
  • Add the firm, diced papaya and simmer 5 minutes
  • Taste for seasoning and serve hot

Starting a meal with a bowl of soup is a good idea. For one thing, it can prevent overeating and is rich in nutrients.

This ginger chicken and papaya soup could even be the whole meal along with a green salad and some bread.

Enjoy.

18 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Now chicken I know and the chicken there looks really good.

Lynn Proctor said...

this sounds awesome--i love the flavor of ginger in soups!!

Kathy said...

Oh this sounds so good. I have to confess, that when I find a yummy recipes in my A to Z Challenge I'm copying them to a neat little recipe file I have hidden on my computer. Thanks for checking out my 'G for girls' post.
Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

Manzanita said...

This looks sooooo good. Yumm. We don't get papayas much here but come summer we get more. The ginger would give it zip.
Have fun with your Easter eggs. :)

Joanne said...

hmmm chicken and papaya? I have never heard of this but it sounds yummers!
Blesings, Joanne

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Anthony, I love ginger chicken soup. In fact we are growing some ginger on our balcony! But I will have to try adding papaya - never done that before!

This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

Duncan In Kuantan

Anonymous said...

Papaya and ginger are two of my favorite ingredients. I don't know where you find so many yummy recipes, but I'm sure glad that you do. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

My kids would love this soup as they go for ginger and papaya. Looks nutritious too.

Feeling Kinda Thirfty said...

I have never thought to put papaya in soup. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting recipe. I'd have never thought of putting papayas in a soup with chicken. I'm just not to sure that my guys would eat this.

Happy Easter to you and Kathy!

anthony stemke said...

PAT HATT: Thanks Pat, it's good.

LYNN PROCTOR: We love ginger in many ways.

KATHY: Hidden in your computer? Wow. Enjoyed the girls post.

MANZANITA: Glad you like this and hope you get papayas to try it.

JOANNE: Yes it is ymmerful. cm

DUNCAN D HORNE: Growing on your balcony, how good is that, we use it a lot.

GENE POOLE DIVA: Thank You Gene.

STEPHEN TREMP: Yours and everybody's children and their parents would love this soup.

THE FRECKLED SISTER: Papaya looks and tastes good in this soup.

SUSANNE DRAZIC: Your guys should have the opportunity to try this. In the unlikely event that they don't you could remove the papaya.
Happy Easter to you and your family.


HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE!

Unknown said...

I love that you're doing soups!

Chaton T. Turner said...

Ginger makes everything better! This sounds delicious. What did you guys have for Easter dinner?

anthony stemke said...

MELANIE: Thank You, I appreciate your interest. Hope you had a Happy Easter.

CHATON: Ginger chicken soup with papaya is delicious.
For dinner we had Bean curd and spinach soup and Shredded chicken with peppers
Chaton, I hope you and your family had a Happy Easter and a nice meal.

Kate OMara said...

Wonderful to come to your blog of recipes! :)
Kate
A to Z: http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com/

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I'm not a big fan of papaya but I might substitute it for something else because the rest of the dish sounds YUM!

Aurora said...

I love soup and this one sounds delicious! Thanks for the inspiration to cook!


Aurora Celeste
yasff.blogspot.com
dramaticthreads.com

anthony stemke said...

KATE O'MARA: Thank You for visiting.

LYNDA R YOUNG: Please feel free to substitute or just omit papaya if you do not favour it.
Thanks for calling.

AURORA CELESTE: Welcome soup lover hope you return.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...