If Popeye were around today he wouldn’t be gobbling down spinach at all. Knowing what we know now about kale’s nutritional power, Popeye would surely be ingesting kale.
Who knew? Years ago I used to take meals in a certain restaurant where every plate they served had this curly green thing as garnish. When I asked what it was, no one knew- until they read the box. Now we know that kale is probably the healthiest green vegetable there is, chock full of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals etc etc. But forget about all that, kale tastes great and in this soup, exemplifies a wonderful flavour.
Adapted from: Epicurious.com/ kale and white bean soup
Kale and White Bean Soup Serves 6
- 1 lb dried white beans such as great northern, cannellini, or navy
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (3- by 2-inch) piece Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 lb smoked sausage such as kielbasa (optional), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 8 carrots, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb kale, stems and center ribs discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
· Cover beans with water by 2 inches in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand, uncovered, 1 hour OR INSTEAD soak overnight in water to cover. Drain beans in a colander and rinse.
· Cook onions in oil in an 8-quart pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
· Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
· Add beans, broth, 1 quart water, cheese rind, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and rosemary
· Simmer, uncovered, until beans are just tender, about 50 minutes.
· While soup is simmering, brown sausage (if using) in batches in a heavy skillet over moderate heat, turning, then transfer to paper towels to drain.
· Stir carrots into soup and simmer 5 minutes.
· Stir in kale, sausage, and remaining quart water and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, about 15 minutes.
· Season soup with salt and pepper.Kale and white bean soup is best if made 1 or 2 days ahead. Cool completely, uncovered, then store in icebox covered. When you reheat it, thin with water if necessary.
This is a fine soup.