Every Chinese restaurant serves egg drop soup and for good reason. Egg drop soup is quick and easy to prepare as well as delicious to eat.
I burst out laughing in a supermarket one time when I see envelopes of “egg drop soup” mix on the shelf. Containing salt and chemicals, I know you would abstain from it, but why worry about it, because you can make this soup in your sleep with your eyes closed, it’s so easy.
If you make a Chinese-style meal at home, egg drop soup takes very little more effort right before sitting down and adds a nice touch to the meal. Want to give it a go?
Egg Drop Soup serves 4-6
- 1 ½ quarts of clear soup stock or chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch, mixed into ¼ cup of cold water
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten with a fork
- 2 Scallions (green onions) chopped, including the green parts
- Bring stock or broth to boiling.
- Slowly pour in the cornstarch slurry while simultaneously stirring
- Shut heat off
- Pour in the beaten eggs slowly while stirring
- As soon as the egg is completely stirred into the soup, it is done
- Add chopped scallions and serve now
Okay? Egg drop soup is simple, right? You probably already have the groceries in your cupboard, so go ahead and add another dimension to your dinner.