Friday, April 6, 2012

FENNEL SEED SOUP WITH GREEN BEANS

A-Z Soups
We always have fennel seeds in the spice rack because I cannot make (Italian) Sauce without including it. Fennel seeds also make a great soup like this one.

Adapted from Soup, Coralie Castle, 101 Productions

Fennel Seed Soup with Green Beans                 serves 4-6

Ingredients:

½ cup of chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons schmaltz * or butter

3 cups cut up Italian green beans
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
5 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of light cream
¼ to ½ cup of sour cream, to your taste preference
Salt and white pepper **

Method:

  • Brown the onion and garlic in the fat
  • Add the beans and fennel seeds, stir to coat
  • Add stock, cover and bring to boiling
  • Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until beans are tender
  • Puree the soup in a blender in stages or with immersion blender
  • Strain and reheat with cream and sour cream
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper
  • Garnish with a strip of chive if you like

This soup is deliciously fragrant and tasty to eat.

*If you poach chicken or chicken parts, place that poaching water in the icebox. The chilled Schmaltz (chicken fat) will firm up on the top and is a fabulous flavouring agent. However, if you must, substitute with butter.

** Black pepper is ok but the white is more attractive

17 comments:

Nikki said...

This looks delicious! I've never really had fennel before, so I might try this for something new!

Great post :) Happy weekend!

Nikki – inspire nordic

Eat To Live said...

Fennel sounds very interesting in this dish... I use fennel and it also works great for babies with colic.

Sounds good Anthony

Anonymous said...

Hi Anthony. I didn't know that chilled chicken fat was called schmaltz. The soup looks delicious.

anthony stemke said...

NIKKI: This soup is exquisite. You have a great weekend too.

MY JOURNEY WITH CANDIDA: We love this soup because it is unique.

SUSANNE DRAZIC: Yes and schmaltz adds a wonderful flavour to a lot of dishes.

Lynn Proctor said...

are fennel seeds kinda licorice tasting---looks wonderful!

Pat Hatt said...

Another I did not know, sure have a soup list now.

Golden Eagle said...

I've never eaten fennel, that I can think of. Sounds like an interesting recipe!

rch said...

Sounds great, very inventive use of the secret ingredient ;-)

MOV said...

anthony,

this looks like a great recipe! can't wait to try it, and can't wait to see what you come up with next! I am a follower now.

feel free to take a peek at my blog too if you have time, I am doing the a to z challenge:

http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

best,
MOV

anthony stemke said...

LYNN PROCTOR: Yes have an anise flavour and makes this soup special.

PATT HATT: Hope you like soup dishes rhymeman, please call again.

THE GOLDEN EAGLE: Fennel is used in Italian sausage, I use it in tomato sauce.

RCH: Thanks for those complimentary words, I'm grateful.

MOV: Thank You for visiting.

Joanne said...

I have nevr heard of Fennel soup before. It really looks good and I have been craving a good one too!
Blessings, Joanne

anthony stemke said...

JOANNE: You will enjoy this soup.

Jenny said...

A to Z soup? Get out! I love soup! I will check back for more deliciousness.

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

I love your recipes, because most seem very healthy. And original.
:)
PBR is Pabst Blue Ribbon, btw. Current beer of hipsters, but used to be the beer of working class men, back in the 70s.

Shutterbug said...

this is the perfect soup for spring! :)

anthony stemke said...

JENNY: I'm happy that you like soup. Stick around for more.

DAWN @ LIGHTEN UP: Ok, heard of that but thought the hipsters were imbibing Samuel Adams.
Thank you Dawn for your kind words.
I wish you a Happy Easter.

SHUTTERBUG: I agree with you and appreciate your comment.
Happy Easter.

Rekha said...

Looks tasty, might try it with veg stock.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...