We always have fennel seeds in the spice rack because I cannot make (Italian) Sauce without including it. Fennel seeds also make a great soup like this one.
Adapted from Soup,
, 101 Productions Coralie Castle
Fennel Seed Soup with Green Beans serves 4-6
½ cup of chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons schmaltz * or butter
3 cups cut up Italian green beans
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
5 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of light cream
¼ to ½ cup of sour cream, to your taste preference
Salt and white pepper **
- Brown the onion and garlic in the fat
- Add the beans and fennel seeds, stir to coat
- Add stock, cover and bring to boiling
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until beans are tender
- Puree the soup in a blender in stages or with immersion blender
- Strain and reheat with cream and sour cream
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Garnish with a strip of chive if you like
This soup is deliciously fragrant and tasty to eat.
*If you poach chicken or chicken parts, place that poaching water in the icebox. The chilled Schmaltz (chicken fat) will firm up on the top and is a fabulous flavouring agent. However, if you must, substitute with butter.
** Black pepper is ok but the white is more attractive