Carrots are the second most popular vegetable after potatoes. They provide huge amounts of vitamin A and fibre as well as other vitamins and minerals.
Carrots come in different colours. In the16th century, Dutch carrot growers invented the orange carrot in honour of the House of Orange, the Dutch Royal Family. They cross- bred pale yellow carrots with red carrots.
Newly orange, carrots traveled to
with Dutch travelers during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. England
Bugs Bunny loved them and so should you. Eating carrots will encourage healthy skin, hair, bones, eyesight and will also cleanse the body.
Carrots are wonderful vegetables, how about making a nice cream of carrot soup of them?
Cream of Carrot Soup serves 6-8
2 Tablespoons butter
¼ Cup chopped onion
2 Cups chopped carrots
2 Tablespoons white wine
3 Cups of chicken stock or broth
1 Teaspoon salt
1/8 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 Teaspoon pepper
1 Cup of heavy cream
- Heat butter in a saucepan until melted
- Add onion and cook until tender
- Put in the carrots and wine and heat to boiling
- Lower the heat, cover the saucepan and simmer about 10 minutes
- Add remaining ingredients except the cream
- Bring to boiling, then simmer, covered until carrots are tender soft, about 20 -30 minutes
- Put half the carrot mixture into blender and blend until smooth
- Strain into bowl and blend the remaining carrots likewise
- Reheat the smooth carrot mixture until hot
- Beat the whipping cream until stiff
- Stir into the soup and serve
Soup is among the earliest cookery achievements of humans. Thank goodness.
I hope you will try this cream of carrot soup to see if you carrot all for it.